BOUTIQUE PHOTOGRAPHY

JAMIE CARLSON PHOTOGRAPHY

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving...

So... I am walking through the grocery store today... one of the million crazy people who shopped the day before Thanksgiving for those last min. things... as I am turning the corner, the cold case near the deli got my attention...
...it was filled with every "side" possible... green bean casserole, potatoes, jellos... even stuffing! Maybe this has been around for years and I have missed it... it jogged my memory of some of my best memories growing up and then as a mom preparing dinner for my own family of six. I can remember my mom with her apron on (she still wears an apron and I LOVE IT!)... she was cooking away... so happy to be serving her family and have all of us around. There were dishes in the sink as she cooked, amazing smells in the air, smudges of flour on her face and apron... kids dipping fingers and testing food ahead of the meal... years later, my kids would prob. say the same about me... I am a happy mess while cooking. :)
All of this to say... none of this would have been true if my mom had run to the store and bought all packaged food prepared by someone else. There are lessons to be learned in the kitchen, memories made... it becomes a gathering place to share our lives as we prepare for the meals... Mom gave us a fearless outlook on cooking and trying new things in our own kitchens. Ok... so, yes, there is a time and place for quick fix meals... believe me... i have needed them, too. But Thanksgiving?? Lets boil our own water, mash our own potatoes, make our own stuffing... and all the while lets share what we are thankful for as we gather in kitchens around the nation...
Happy Thanksgiving!
Artwork by our 7 year old son, Flynn.

No comments:

Post a Comment